Section 504 and More with Perry Zirkel — Program One: The Basics
September 22 @ 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
This three-hour virtual program, intended for but not limited to novice 504 coordinators, focuses on the basic building blocks of an effective school program for students in relation to Section 504 and its sister statute, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The questions it will address include the following:
– What are the key differences between Section 504, the ADA, and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)?
– What is the required grievance procedure?
– What are the latest student eligibility standards?
– What are the reasons for avoiding under- or over-identification?
– What are the required elements of the procedural safeguards notice?
– What are the practical recommendations for 504 plans?
– What are the alternative avenues for enforcement?
– What are the key issues for 504-only students under COVID-19?
This session will also include illustrative forms, recommended procedures, and ample opportunity for Q-and-A.
Presenter: Perry A. Zirkel, Lehigh University Professor Emeritus of Education & Law
|Audience||School Pre-K – 12; General and Special Education Teachers and Administrators, School Counselors, and Student Support Services Professionals|
For registration questions, please contact Linda Adorno, SERC, (860) 632-1485, ext. 241 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a virtual event.